Working On Swing Tempo(Boom-Boom Baby)

4

Posted by Dexter Francois | Posted in , , | Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010

I have been working on the knockdown shot for the past few days and the hardest thing for me is keeping a good tempo throughout my swing. Because of the shortened swing, I found myself decelerating into the ball and pushing everything to the right. After reading my last post, my swing coach Mike pointed out a few things that might be causing my struggles. This is what he had to say.

"...that push sounds more like you're jerking the club a little to get more speed from your shortened backswing, and since you're just trying to hit the ball harder, you shorten your followthrough." He went on to say, "I'd be willing to bet you've got a short followthrough after you hit the ball, don't you? That's why you think you're decelerating."

I feel like he has a camera at my laboratory because he is always dead on. That is exactly what I was doing and it now makes sense why I had a severe case of the "pushes". To remedy the problem, Mike says to "make sure your followthrough is at least as long as your backswing. You don't need to swing harder, just keep the club moving so your finish is at least as long as your backswing. This will smooth out your swing and make it easier to square the clubface."

I was still struggling during practice yesterday with tempo and then I remembered reading this post from Heather Anderson Jones who publishes an excellent blog called Real Women Golf. Heather often records her exploits on the golf course with her girlfriends as well as keeping us informed about the golf world from her point of view. It is always entertaining and on this occasion very educational.

Recently Heather was out with her golfing buddy "Wilbur" and they gave us the Boom-Boom tip to help keep a consistent tempo throughout the swing. Worked for me. Once I had this thought in my head I began to hit the ball a little better.

Take a look at the video. See if it helps you. If anything, it will put a smile on your face. It's always better to be smiling on the course. This means your playing well and if your not playing well, it means that you are still enjoying yourself, which is most important. Have a great round and always hit your target.



Claim Your Free Weekly Golf Swing Videos Here!

Comments (4)

  1. October 10, 2010 at 10:12 AM

    Heather takes lessons from Bob Sowards, a well-respected club pro who's played on both the Nationwide and PGA Tours. I'm not at all surprised that you found her tip helpful.

    I'll have to see if I can't get a post on tempo up this week.

  2. October 10, 2010 at 11:46 AM

    Awesome! I would love to have a smooth swing like Ernie or Vijay. Their swings look so effortless and free and the ball just takes off.

    I've followed both of them at Doral. They are so silky smooth. I always feel like I have to swing harder to get the ball to travel further. Doesn't seem to be the case with them. I want that consistent tempo in my swing.

  3. October 14, 2010 at 12:10 PM

    I really wish I could take credit for the "Boom-Boom" tip, but that's all Wilbur. She learned it from a former swing coach of her's named David Hunter.

    Mike, thanks for the kind words about Bob. He has helped me SO much this year. I got down to an 8.0 index--my lowest ever, but we still have more work to do. He's currently trying to convince me that the winter break is good because it will force me to practice and take my swing to the next level.

    That sounds good, but playing all year-round sounds better. :o)

  4. October 17, 2010 at 1:21 PM

    I guess you will have to tell Wilbur I said thank you then:-) Congratulations on your game improvement. That's awesome. I'm trying to get down to a 12 by the end of the year. Almost there.

    Maybe sometime during the winter season you can share what Bob has you doing to work on your game since you can't get out. I would love to learn some new indoor drills. Thanks for stopping by.